2.09.2011

DIY: Decorative Tray


I am a big believer in that you don't have to drop Benjamins on decor to make your house look beautiful. Many things already existing (and to come) around our house have been DIY-ed or fabulous finds. I think creating your own decor is so much more rewarding and personal than walking into a Pottery Barn and picking out items. (For the record, I love Pottery Barn, but who has money to decorate their home with pieces straight out of a page in their magazine?)

I regularly receive PB magazines as well as others to pull inspiration from and for recreating ideas. Many items found at Goodwill, thrift stores, and flea markets can easily (I'm talking little to no effort here) be transformed into something that looks unique and high-priced.


I found this tray at a Marshalls in Raleigh (actually, I think it might have been in Cary). It was all beat up, not the prettiest thing in the world, and on clearance. I threw him in my buggy (along with a couple other clearance items) and $3 later, he was mine!

Need:
An old tray
A can of white primer
A can of white spray paint

Directions:
1. Wipe down tray to remove dust or dirt that may have accumulated. 
2. Spray a couple layers of primer (~10 minutes between each - read primer instructions).
3. Spray a couple layers of white spray paint until fully covered.

I already had the primer and paint, so this project cost me a bank-breaking $3. A $3 exact replica of a $69 tray. Can't beat that. I love this tray and I am on a mission to find other beat up trays to bring new life. 

26 comments:

Ashley said...

Do you like the Lauren Conrad style book? I love her look but I've heard mixed reviews about the book. I love your style and am wondering what you think about it.

Thanks!
Ashley

Gabriella said...

Love it!

Anonymous said...

I love this idea! Thanks for sharing.

Laura said...

Great DIY! As a new apartment dweller, I am now super interested in anything DIY/home decor related!!

Kileen said...

what a great Marshalls find! the finished item looks perfect!

cute and little

suzanne said...

what a great (and TOTALLY simple) idea! DIY is always a little daunting to me, but you make it look so easy!

thanks for sharing! :)

-suzanne

http://awkwardlychic.blogspot.com

Erin Willett said...

Looks great! I really need to take the time to look for bargains to decorate with.

visit heyrecklessmind.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Wow so simple yet so classy! I love it! And the added necklace looks really nice except I think it'd be a hassle to remove it to get any book/magazine you want.

Michelle said...

being an interior designer, i am always into DIY home trends! an Raleigh? my bf is from Raleigh. crazy :)

Michelle said...

being an interior designer, i am always into DIY home trends! an Raleigh? my bf is from Raleigh. crazy :)

ag. said...

Such a simple DIY and it looks so good! Love tips like this!

Linley said...

@Twist -- yes! i love this book. i read through the whole thing in less than two hours! there's so many helpful tips on all aspects of style and shopping.

@Thoa -- the necklace was laying on the table, so i just laid it on top f the book to make a pretty picture! (:

@Michelle -- super jealous of your bf being in raleigh! i lived there for a few years while going to nc state - i love that city so much! we hope to get back there one day!

Allison said...

Great idea! I may have to try it. Who would pay $69 for a tray when this seems so easy?!!

Mindy said...

cool idea! I love reading easy DIY posts and seeing the results!!

And I totally walked into PB this past weekend, looked around, and walked right out. So pricey!

Anonymous said...

I read the LC Style book a while ago at the bookstore. As a celebrity, I don't really know her since I haven't seen her shows but on magazines/red carpets, she always looks great and I really lover her style and LOVE her make up! Now, I'm thinking maybe I shouldn't have been so cheap and actually bought it!

Ayan said...

i love diys! and pb! and i love love this!!

Brooke T said...

This is so cute! I've seen this before and really want to do it but I can't find the right tray. Do you know where you got that one?

srochellephotography said...

I never thought to look at Marshalls before! Now I'll keep an eye out there for a tray! I love how organized it makes a coffee table look!

Rochelle

Leah said...

Love it!! I'm all about a bargain or DIY and your tray turned out adorable.

M @ Cardigans and Cupcakes said...

Awesome idea! I love when I find great items at Marhalls or TJMax!

Alex Byer said...

At first, I was lusting after your Lauren Conrad Style book. Now I'm lusting after that tray. Sigh. You're so stinkin' talented.

Zara said...

This is such a fantastic idea!!! I love it!! So simple too! Thank you for sharing!!!

Holly said...

good job, it looks great!

Gabby / Gypsy*Diaries said...

I cannot wait to start decorating and DIYing my new flat in Berlin! :D
xxx

http://gypsy-diaries.blogspot.com/

Melissa: Write it in Lipstick said...

Great DYI, I am a big believer in not dropping a lot of $$$ to makeover anything. It looks great.

Emerald Hills said...

I love doing things myself and I am a HUGE fan of thrift stores. deals all over the place.

I like what you did, but I would have left the pattern inside, gives it a nice classic aged look.

nice job.