1.07.2011

J Crew Gingham + Friend Friday

  {shirt: j crew | cardigan & belt: target | skinnies: tj maxx | booties: steve madden}


Two things are going on today: 1.  I {along with a hand-full of others with this shirt} are all sharing a way we would style it (hope you like it!) and 2. I'm participating in my first Friend Friday hosted by Modly Chic (hope you like this too!). Check it out and shoot Katy an email if you want to participate next Friday!


1. Have you ever looked at someone's blog and thought yours will never measure up? 


I try not to do this. It's easy to lose sight of your own blog if you're constantly comparing it to others'. Will my blog measure up to what... amazing photos? the most expensive clothes? the most followers? the most sponsors? If I (or anyone) become so focused on those things my blog wouldn't get anywhere. It would lose itself. I think the most successful bloggers are those true to themselves. I personally prefer blogs that are original and inspiring - and that's what I want to be.


2. Do you (did you) feel pressure to meet some kind of undefined standard for fashion bloggers? 


Yes and no. Everyone has a different style. I definitely have an eclectic one -  I can be super girly today and tomorrow's look can be masculine inspired - and that's just how I roll; so many different styles appeal to me. I want to stay true to myself. If someone decides to follow my blog it's because they like what I've already done and interested in what I will do - so I'm just gonna keep-on-keepin'-on.  I prefer to ignore any standards that may be out there. I just want to be happy with what I'm doing.


3. Many established fashion bloggers are also extraordinary DIYers, bakers, and crafty people. Do you think you need to combine all of these things to be successful at blogging? 


D&T actually started out as a blog to share my new life as a wife. I wanted to share the things I love doing... like DIYs, crafts, and recipes. Fashion has always been a passion of mine and participating in the 30x30 was {somewhat} my segue into the fashion blogging community {which I had admired from a far and wanted to be a part ever since stumbling onto my first fashion blog}. In its few months of existence, D&T has somewhat evolved into a catch-all kind of blog - but still a place for me to share whatever I want and love - whether it's fashion, food, DIY, or my life in general. 

4. The most successful blogs are the ones that have their own personal voice - how are you developing your voice or how did you find yours? 



Since this blog is still somewhat new, I'm still working of what I really want it to be - a fashion blog with some married life stuff, married life stuff with some fashion, or an equal balance of it all - I'm still working on it. While I'm in the middle of this great discovery I'm so thankful for those who read my blog and show interest. This blog is for me, but now that I have people who actually read it, I want to keep them entertained as well!

5. Toot your own horn... what's one thing you do that is unique to you and your blog? What gives your blog an edge?



As far as fashion goes - you never know what you're going to get. I enjoy a variety of styles: casual, dressy, girly, and edgy. I love mixing it up - whether it's day-to-day or within one outfit. I love trying new looks. I've been a lover of fashion for years, but that doesn't mean I only love one thing. I'm somewhat of  a free-spirit when it comes to fashion - if I love it and it's flattering, I'll wear it.

43 comments:

Kileen said...

i love this plaid shirt on you! and i love how you cuffed the sleeves over the cardigan too.

and i loved reading your FBFF responses. it's all about being true to yourself. well said, girl! :)

cuteandlittle.com

Ashley J said...

Dang- does everyone have a J Crew gingham except for me....I gotta do something about that! I just started following you on twitter so add me @afashionfix so we can chat it up!!

http://www.afashionfixation.blogspot.com

Lilly Style said...

Love your style! Your outfit is great, as usual.

Enjoyed reading your responses :)

Anonymous said...

So so cute! I love the girly/tomboy aspect of this outfit :)

srochellephotography said...

I love how well you do different looks! It's nice to know I'm not the only person who has more than one distinct style!

Rochelle
rochelleapproved.tumblr.com

Morgan said...

Great answers! I used to be consumed with how many followers I have... or be so sad when one drops off. Now I don't even think about it... I love my daily readers and casual passerbyers alike. I love the people that follow and those that don't. We all blog for different reasons and I'm just happy to be a part of the community!!

Janna said...

Very cute, and I love the layered girly necklaces with the somewhat boyish shirt. Your responses to the questions are a mirror of my own thoughts - I had been blogging for over a year and recently took a break for several weeks because I was starting to lose my focus and worry more what would be fun to read rather than what was on my mind. It was becoming too random, and I was feeling pressure to "measure up" as you mentioned above. But now I'm back with more focus on the reason I started blogging to begin with - to show that there are normal and "real" wife/moms out there, and that it's okay to be who you are. I may just link up one Friday in the near future. Thanks for keeping it "real" with your post :)

stephanie. said...

i have this shirt too (or similar) in blue. scored it for 16 bucks on super sale in the men's section. love. looks fabulous on you of course.

Liz said...

Fantastic post all around Linley! You're answers to Friend Friday were really thoughtful and interesting. I enjoy your blog because because I don't know what to expect from you {in a good way} and because you're just so darn sweet.

ps, love the gingham {but I'm sure you knew that}

Unknown said...

I LOVE your free-spirited style - this outfit, perfectly proving why I love to come here :). The necklace is such an awesome piece to mix with the gingham shirt - you look like a J.Crew model!!

Love your blog and look forward to future posts :)

Small Time Style

kristine [kristine. or polly.] said...

This look is quintessential J.Crew. Love it. Half tucked in shirt, statement necklaces. So cute.


Kristine. Or Polly.

Kristin said...

Hi there,

Thank you for your lovely comment over on my blog. I am so glad I found yours from it - it's very very lovely!

Following you now. :)

Kristin
http://dollparade.blogspot.com

kimmie said...

Yay! you got your gingham shirt! Mine is still on my list of things I need... Still haven't found the perfect one yet! I may have to cave in and visit J Crew. I LOVE how you styled it. :)

lilmissmarch said...

dang i need a gingham shirt! such a cute style on you! how do we find the other bloggers working with this shirt today!?

Jilliebeanie said...

Such a great look - and I love your hair :)

Very glad your joined FBFF - it's how I found you - NEW FOLLOWER!

What Would a Nerd Wear said...

oh swoon, i love your take on gingham!! the juxtaposition fo the crisp print and the slouchy half-tuck is amazing.

JennaStevie said...

I really really love this gingham top with that cardigan! I also really love your necklaces. This is such a perfect look. I like your answer to those questions before I started my blog I would compare my style to others. But when I started my blog I could see that I had a voice and my own style and didn't want to have anyone elses. I still love others blogs for style inspiration though :)
xJennD

Ashley Hasty said...

I'm your newest follower! I just love your style and your blog..It really is a pleasure to *meet* you!!

<3 Ashley
www.ahastylife.com

Isabella Kiss said...

i love your layered necklaces! looks great!

Collette Osuna said...

LOVE the gingham and sweater..you look adorable in it....Im new to FF and love love your answers...you are so right about losing site..its not hard to do...really like your blog....nice to meet you!

KT said...

First off... I love this look, especially with the half-tucked in shirt and bold necklace. Also, welcome to the FBFF community. I'm so glad you've decided to contribute your words of wisdom to the topics we discuss. - Katy

Anonymous said...

Love that outfit!! I love the layered necklaces with it...

C said...

The layered necklaces soften up the entire outfit. I love this idea and will be copying :D

Anonymous said...

You're looking good in that gingham! Welcome to friend Friday--your blog has exploded hasn't it since the Remix challenge?

Anonymous said...

of course, i love the half-tuck. and the bunch of necklaces! way to go. AND i definitely need some gingham in my life! my baby blanket was gingham and i still love it!

Anonymous said...

So far this is the first gingham look, I could see myself wearing. I really love the pearls and ruffle booties you included. I'm still trying to find my voice as a blogger also, so I totally understand you!

ps. Being yourself should be the goal of every blogger!!

Diana said...

I absolutely LOVE those necklaces with that shirt..gorgeous.
I did my very first FBFF today and I am soo happy that I did because that's how I came upon your blog. And I couldn't believe my eyes when reading your 'about' post, your career is so similar to mine, hehe! First I wanted to work in advertising, then I wanted to do some Computer Science stuff, then switched to Linguistics and now I have finally found my place (fingers crossed)...web and graphic design!
Can't wait to see/read more from you :)

Lots of love,
Diana

Rin said...

I love the way you have styled this. Don't tell, but this might be my favorite.

Anonymous said...

OOOH I totally love this look! The Gingham Gang has definitely made me go to the J.Crew site tonight and contemplate getting one! It's so versatile. :-)

Your shoes are darling. The ruffle detail kills me!

Unknown said...

I have been following your blog for a few months and I love it! So refreshing to read! Although I don't know you, you are so genuine and real! A very classy gal! It comes through in your writing! And you always look great! Keep it up! I especially love this look! Love the pearls with the gingham! Have a wonderful weekend!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE that gingham top. It looks so cool like this. Great answers, too. You definitely seem very real and always super cool. :)

Melanie@UnravelledThreads
Follow @UnraveldTreads on Twitter!

ilene @ muchloveilly said...

love the outfit! and actually found you via what a nerd would wear...and you're totally rockin' the gingham shirt look.

p.s. i think we have the same sweet shoes in our header! madden girl? :)

Cara-Mia said...

This looks great! & you're right, your style does very. I think that's why I love it!

amber lynn said...

love the way you styled your gingham! and i have those same booties, dont you love them?! :)

glad i found your blog today :)

Kate said...

Great interview, and lovelovelove this outfit! Such a perfect casual outfit, love the gingham shirt paired with the layered necklaces! Such a fun look!

Unknown said...

I really love the layered necklaces with the gingham shirt! And I loved all your answers, one of the main reasons I love your blog so much is that your style varies so much from day to day, it definitely keeps it interesting!

Shopping and Spreadsheets

Ashley {hudson's happenings} said...

Love that plaid shirt and your cute little shoes! Happy Weekend, Friend! :)

Ramsey said...

So cute! My favorite part of this is most definitely the necklace! And your hair is cute...love the messy look!

katherine said...

you are so adorable and i awarded you a bloggy award :)

Heather said...

*Love* how you paired the shirt with such dressy jewelry. Great outfit. :)

Jess said...

So stylish! I love the half tucked-in look. If I wore my top like this I would guarantee it would just look sloppy but you look classy.

s said...

And my lust for this shirt continues.. I might have to cave and buy one soon. Or find some other excuse to move it from my want to need list.. :)

Amy said...

Just found you through Everybody, Everywear - love this outfit. Now I need to find a gingham shirt like whoa.