10.07.2010

In 25

So many wonderful things took place in the year of 25 and I wanted to share a few that stand out. Here we go:

1. I planned our wedding.
I started planning our wedding the summer before I turned 25, but the majority of the planning took place when I was 25. It was stressful, exciting, and rewarding. I could write and write all day about the planning of the wedding, but I will save that for my Bride's Eye View posts (that - I promise - are coming soon!).

2. I got married!
This is by far one of the best things that happened in my 25th year of life. It was the most exciting day of my life. It's almost too surreal to put into words the feelings and emotions that overcome you on that special day. And then waking up the next morning - all I could do was smile. I was married to the man I love, my best friend. It was nothing less than perfect.

3. (in keeping with the wedding theme) I got to try on wedding dresses.
This was such a fun day. I remember it like it was yesterday. It's something every bride-to-be looks forward to. I went to a small boutique that offered a variety of dresses. So I was able to pick out exactly what I wanted, but also had the one-on-one I needed. It was perfect.

4. I completed graduate school and got my M.S in speech-language pathology. 
I look back sometimes and can't believe I did it. The idea of going to grad school was intimidating and about a year into my undergraduate studies for Language and Communication Disorders I considered changing majors just so I wouldn't have to go to grad school. But I got through and did well. I worked hard and pushed through with the close group of friends I acquired there and we made it. It's something I am so proud of because it's not something everyone has and I ofter doubtful that I could do it.

5. I researched, wrote, and presented my master's project.
Now, I was weary about getting through grad school and it's mainly because of this guy - the master's project.  Not only is it scary enough to go through the entire process that is the master's project, but one of the professors on my committee was probably the most well educated, published, on his own level of thinking, and intimidating professor in our program. Perfect. But I did it. I rocked it, and ended up getting 43/44 combined from the written portion and presentation.

6. I went out of the county for the first time.
Now, I technically have been out of the country before now. I've been to Canada, twice, but I tend not to count those trips. For our honeymoon we went to St. Lucia. It was beautiful and such a memorable time. I hope we can go back.

7. I said goodbye to the dog that I grew up with. 
I can't write too much about this sweet little girl because when I spend too much time thinking about her, I shed tears. Tears that eventually turn into compulsive sobbing. That being said, she was with me from middle school through the beginning of this past summer. All the crucial years of my life. She was so sweet and the perfect dog. I miss her and think about her constantly.

8. I left North Carolina behind. 
Initially, this is not wonderful. I love NC. It is the only state I have lived in up until our big move to AL. I have visited my fair share of states in this country, and NC still hold the key to my heart. We both love NC. We both hope to make it back to NC. That being said, this move is big for us. Chris has an amazing job that he is doing so well with and it was worth the move in the long run.

9. We became "grown ups"
That's right. We pay for our rent, our water, our electricity, our food, our clothes, our gas. We bought a washer and dryer. We bought a cell phone plan. (Now that I am re-reading this, seems like to be a grown up all you have to do is pay for things. That sucks.)

10. I realized that making life-long friends doesn't require some extensive amount of time of knowing them. 

11. I passed the Praxis.
The horrible, dreaded Praxis. It sucked. Studying for it, talking about it, thinking about it, taking it, coming out of it knowing you failed, waiting for weeks to get the scores back... but even after all of that, I passed. This test had so much riding on it and created so much anxiety for me. I remember waking up and getting a text from Michael saying Praxis scores are online. I sat there and contemplated whether I should look because if I didn't pass, I didn't want to have to sit through four classes with all my friends who (had probably) passed. But I decided to look. To get it over with and face the possibility that I may be taking it again. I logged in. Clicked on check scores. And there it was... PASSED. I cried. And cried. So much anxiety was lifted away. Meg walked in my room and assumed I failed. I had to pull it together to talk and let her know I passed. It was a great day.

12. I dressed up for Halloween for the first time as an adult. 
That's right. Since starting college back in 2003 I had never done the whole "it's Halloween, looks like I have an excuse to dress like a tramp tonight." Nope, never did that. In fact, if you couldn't tell already, it really get's on my nerves. It's unoriginal and not an excuse. Dorthy, a referee, Rainbow Bright, Strawberry Shortcake? Those aren't costumes, those are reasons 21 year old girls get prego. So anyway, I decided to be Beyonce from her video of All The Single Ladies. And yeah, I guess it was a little revealing, but it wasn't any different than a bathing suit. An extremely conservative one piece bathing suit. I wore a leotard, y'all. And hose. I poofed up my hair. And wore big hoop earrings. It was fabulous.


So those are my main events of 25. There are so many more things I would love to share - emotions, experiences, friendships. That's another time. I remember being scared of 25. I also remember shortly after turning 25 deciding and feeling that it was going to be good. And it was.

No comments: